o .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lamrot Hakol (Despite Everything)

Musings and kvetchings and Torah thoughts from an unconventional Orthodox Jew.

My Photo
Name:

"I blog, therefore I am". Clearly not true, or I wouldn't exist except every now and then.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Dog Owners Suck

Pardon me. I suppose not all dog owners do, but I find it interesting that so many dog owners think that just because they've chosen to adopt an animal, other people need to be afflicted by that choice.

Yesterday, I went with my partner and our daughter to a beach. Turns out that there was a pilot "dog beach" next to this one, fence and all. A place where dogs could be let off their leashes without incurring a fine.

Is that enough for the dog owners? Of course not. There were dogs all over the human beach, mostly unleashed. At one point, we were trying to shoo a large dog away, and the "human" who owned it came up and called the dog away, saying, "Come on away from those mean people."

Mean people. He doesn't know the half of it.

Animals belong in the wild, in a zoo, or on my table, well seasoned. And while I have a hard time understanding the pet-owner mentality, dog owners are far and a way the worst. People who have to be forced by law not to let their animals take dumps on public sidewalks. They're like smokers, who think they have some God given right to drop their cigarette butts wherever they like.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Huh?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Um... it isn't a matter of friendly or not friendly. Do you just post random comments on blogs that don't relate to the blog entry?

My first thought was that Blogger had messed up and that you'd meant to post that to a different blog. That it was like getting signals crossed on a phone.

But I guess not.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ah. Pardon my denseness. I totally agree.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Okay, I think that's the part that's confusing me. I don't even remember the last time I typed or said the word "gutter".

Are you sure you're talking about me? I don't really know what you mean.

And what's with all the "I see hot people" stuff? I mean, if you realize that you're ogling and you want to do something about it, just don't do that. Think about something else. Or try and think of people as being people, and not just examples of hotness. There's a lot of beauty in the world. Focus on parts of it that might be more appropriate.

12:23 PM  
Blogger JoeSettler said...

I just visitied a beautiful apartment complex in Jerusalem. It has well trimmed grass lawns, bushes, and flower beds all over.

Across the street is an empty dirt lot (eventually to be a park) with some weeds and stuff.

Guess which of the two was filled with doggie doo (and it wasn't the empty lot).

3:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I know. And the general ethos in Israel that says "the rules don't really apply to me" must make that even worse.

I like your blog, btw. I just added it to my list.

7:32 AM  
Blogger shore said...

I just wandered into your blog and found the Judaic studies to be of interest. I've picked up more info regarding Orthodox Judaism in the past few minutes than I absorbed in my time at Hebrew School in Rogers Park during the Eisenhower Presidency.

However, dog owners do not suck! The vast majority control their animals and are judicious in removing any waste. The loyalty and love exhibited by the dog has made them a fixture in Western culture.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi shore,

I know not all dog owners suck. I was irked when I wrote that.

Rogers Park? Like in Chicago? That's where I live. I wasn't born during the Eisenhower years, though.

1:02 PM  
Blogger shore said...

Sorry, I probably over reacted to the pet issue.
Yes, I initially attended Hebrew at KINS on California Ave, but later moved to Anshe Motele. The latter had lower tuition and was a bit closer to home. As you may know, at that time about 15 synagogues sat along Cal Ave from Peterson to Howard Street.
The writer, Irving Cutler had said that W Rogers was the largest Jewish neighborhood in the Midwest during the 60s.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Google